Excess body or facial hair can be a problem for both women and men. Laser technology has brought us a safe and long-lasting way to remove unwanted hair, leaving your skin smooth and saying goodbye to ingrown hairs! Each laser hair removal treatment will result in hair growth reduction. The hair will grow slower, lighter, and finer with each treatment. Most people achieve permanent hair reduction after 8 to 12 treatments, but individual results may vary depending on hormonal and genetic factors. Lighter colored hair may require more treatments than darker colored hair. Because laser treatment destroys only the hair follicle during its growth cycle, having no effect on the follicles that are dormant at the time of treatment, multiple sessions are required to achieve desired results.
Why choose laser hair removal
Laser hair removal can remove unwanted hair, be it from a condition that causes excess hair growth or just the desire for a new look. Most individuals will require a series of treatments over time which will result in the removal of the unwanted hair. Most of the lasers and light sources are FDA cleared for permanent hair reduction, which means reduction over time. Some individuals will see very long term hair removal which may last for many years. Others may require maintenance treatments over time to maintain their degree of hair loss. It is truly impossible to determine in advance who will require how many treatments and how long the hair will remain gone. As stated above, laser hair removal works best in those with dark hairs on lighter skin, however newer technologies and newer lasers and light sources have made the procedure safe and effective in those with darker skin and those individuals of color.
Pre Treatment Care
- The treatment area needs to be shaved. You must avoid waxing, threading, plucking, or the use of chemical hair removal products 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Prior to treatment, make sure area is cleaned, leaving no residue of makeup, lotion, or topical anesthetic.
- Be sure to stop any oral medications that are photosensitive such as antibiotics, Accutane, etc.
- If the face is the area being treated, make sure to discontinue all active topical creams such as Retin-A, hydroquinone, etc. If you are not sure about a certain medication or topical you are using, please give us a call prior to your treatment.
Post Treatment Care
- Do not shave the treated area for several days after your treatment.
- After receiving your treatment, wash gently only using tepid water.
- No sun exposure, as hyper pigmentation can occur.
- It is normal for some irritation to occur. Application of ice or hydrocortisone can provide relief.
- Discontinue all other hair removal methods during your treatment plan.